Sixth child accuses former teacher
CLAYTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police announced Monday that a sixth child has accused former Archer Lodge Middle School teacher Paul Clifton Canally of sex crimes.
The 29-year-old faces new charges of statutory rape and sex offense with a person 13-15 years of age. That's in addition to a host of charges related to the first five accusers.
Detectives first arrested the 29-year-old former science teacher February 29 and have been searching for more alleged victims.
The latest child to come forward said the incident occurred at Canally's home. Investigators ABC11 does not generally identify the victims of alleged sex crimes.
Canally worked as a teacher at Archer Lodge from August 2007 to July 27, 2009. All but one alleged victims were students at the school.
Canally resigned his teaching position in the summer of 2009 after the Johnston County School district began investigating a complaint against him. A district spokesperson told ABC11 earlier this month that the complaint was not of a sexual nature, but did not elaborate.
Investigators told ABC11 they won't be surprised if there are more victims, but parents may have a hard time getting their kids to talk about Canally.
"It's very difficult for the victims to talk about. And so, they feel a little ashamed, and you have to explain to them that you don't have anything to be ashamed about - that you're being brave during the interviews. And so, that's the only thing that I can tell parents, is that you've got to ask for your children to be brave to talk about the situations going on, the incidents that have occurred." offered Detective Jason Linder with the Clayton Police Department.
Canally had another $150,000 added to his bond Monday for a total of $2,630,000. He remains in the Johnston County Jail.
johnston county, sex offense, local/state, ed crump
- Suspect in Durham carjacking, crash sought 1 min ago
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Lindsay Lohan calls sex list 'humiliating'
- Duke's Rodney Hood to enter NBA Draft 24 min ago
- Video: Easter celebration to take place in Durham
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Whoopi Goldberg writes Denver Post cannabis column
- Doomed ferry's sharp turn, slow evacuation probed
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born near Philadelphia
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Why married women cheat
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows