Vigil held for teen who accidentally shot himself
TIMBERLAKE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Members of a Person County community came together Wednesday to grieve the death of a teenager.
Seventeen-year-old Matthew Morton accidentally shot himself Sunday with a handgun at his Timberlake home. He shot himself once in the chest and couldn't be saved.
Friends, classmates and family held a vigil outside that home Wednesday evening.
"Oh man, I wish I could bring him back right here," said Matthew's brother, Max Morton.
"It's so hard to let him go," said Matthew's mother, Jonna Morton. "He's no longer here. I know he's with me in my heart."
"I thought it was a sick joke," said friend Kayla Taylor. "He loved his life. He would tell you that in a heartbeat."
While Matthew's death has been ruled accidental, his father is telling anyone who will listen that there's a lesson to be learned in gun safety.
"Secure your weapons," said Hugh Morton. "[It's] just that simple. Secure your weapons."
Three days since the shooting, neighbors and local businesses are pitching in to help cover Matthew's funeral costs. The funeral is set for Friday morning in Rougemont.
person county, shooting, local/state, joel brown
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 40 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home 33 min ago
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- Orange County among hardest hit by ice storm
37 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
41 min ago
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in Fayetteville...
34 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help