Pollen blankets area, allergies kick in
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Pollen is in the air and as it covers everything from cars to sidewalks, it's hard to miss. And for many people across the area, it means with one thing -- allergies.
Experts say allergy season has started earlier than ever thanks to the warm weather in the area. Allergy sufferers agree.
"The pollen this year seems to be worse than other years, and it's quite intense," Sally Burris said. "We have a cloud of pollen that's sort of settled over Raleigh over the past two days. I'd like it to go away because I'm allergic to it."
If you think your case of itchy eyes and runny nose is bad, you're not alone. Susanne Jacobs is a nurse practitioner at a Raleigh CVS Minute Clinic and said she has seen an increase in people with allergy symptoms.
"We had an unusual warm winter which allowed our trees to pollinate earlier in the spring this year. And the amount of rain we've had has helped encourage growth," Jacobs said.
At the CVS Minute Clinic, Jacobs said she has seen many people who suffer from asthma dealing with allergy symptoms from pollen.
"It's not good at all. It's hard to breathe really. The people that have it real bad, I feel sorry for them. I really do," allergy sufferer Virginia King said.
Jacobs recommends over-the-counter medicines like Zyrtec or a saline sinus rinse to alleviate symptoms.
local/state, steve dorsey
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help