Raleigh teen hurt in drive-by shooting
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A teenager was rushed into emergency surgery Sunday morning after being hit by gunfire in what police are calling a drive-by shooting that occurred at the corner of Bertie Drive and Colleton Road.
According to investigators, a suspect in a red Cadillac drove by a home in the 100 block of Bertie Drive, just off New Bern Avenue, around 1:10 a.m. and fired gunshots.
Police said a group of teens were gathered in the yard outside when one of them was hit.
"It was a party going on last night," said resident B.J. Morgan. "It seemed like everything was going fine."
Morgan did not attend the party and heard about the shooting later Sunday.
Witnesses, who asked not to be identified, told Eyewitness News that the car came down Colleton Road, turned on Bertie, and gunshots were fired in rapid succession.
"It was most likely some gang violence," Morgan said.
However some said the neighborhood is not known to attract gangs.
"I don't really know much of gang activity in this area," said Matt Leary.
Leary heads up the neighborhood watch, and by mid-morning Sunday, he said his email was filled with comments about the shooting.
"The reaction is one of just sadness, shock, and concern for the family, to be honest," said Leary.
The victim was rushed to the hospital with a wound to the abdomen, but police have not released his identity or condition.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Raleigh Police Department at (919) 996-1343.
shooting, raleigh police, wake county, local/state, jon camp
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help