Harnett student killed in crash, sister injured
LILLINGTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- The North Carolina Highway Patrol said Friday morning that a student at Western Harnett High School was killed in a car crash just after 7 a.m. west of Lillington.
Investigators said the teen was apparently driving too fast in a 1998 Ford Explorer and lost control along a curve on Spring Hill Church Road between Farrar Road and Stancil Road.
The SUV rolled twice. Ryan Austin Eatmon, 17, was declared dead at the scene.
Eatmon's 14-year-old sister, Devyn, who was a student at Western Harnett Middle School, was taken to Betsy Johnson Regional Hospital in Dunn with a concussion and broken right arm. She has since been transported to WakeMed in Raleigh.
Both students were wearing their seatbelts.
Classmates and friends gathered Friday evening at a church to remember Ryan and mourn his loss.
harnett county, accident, local/state
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Candidates for Wake superintendent narrowed to 3
- Request for mistrial in McNeill case denied
- Forensic expert reads emails from Janet Abaroa
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' - who won season 16?
- NC attorney general warns of disaster relief scams
- Parents push to get Enloe students back in school
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
- Michael Jordan: Bobcats changing name to Hornets
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornadoes
- High School coach arrested on sex charge