'Ethnic intimidation' charges in Roxboro assault
ROXBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- Three people are charged following an assault on a man near a gas station in Roxboro that happened March 31.
John Lumpkin, 23, suffered a broken nose and broken bones in his face that required hospitalization.
In a 911 call released Tuesday, a caller reports Lumpkin was "jumped" by a group of people in a Ford F150 pickup truck and he was "beaten up."
"Need to send someone out here to take a report he's pretty messed up," said the caller.
Investigators didn't elaborate on what happened beyond saying the incident started as a verbal argument and ended in a violent assault near a Valero gas station on Durham Rd.
Roxboro police said brothers Christopher and Brandon Latta were charged with felony assault and ethnic intimidation.
Under North Carolina law, ethnic intimidation is described as an assault or damage to property because of race, color, religion, nationality, or country of origin.
The Lattas are Caucasian. Lumpkin is African American.
Police said a third person, Brandy Walker, was charged with felony conspiracy.
All had bonded out of jail Tuesday morning.
Investigators said more arrests were possible.
person county, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help