Missing woman found in submerged car
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police say a missing Rocky Mount woman has been found dead in a submerged car.
Britinae Rachelle Whitehead, 21, was last seen leaving a friend's home on White Oak Road in Enfield on Tuesday around 9 a.m.
On Thursday, her body was found inside a Honda Accord submerged in a body of water near Adcock Road in Halifax County.
Whitehead's family had been searching for her for days. Late Thursday, they found a hubcap from her vehicle and skid marks going into a creek.
Soon divers were on the scene and discovered the submerged car with Whitehead's body inside.
Despite the bad news, the discovery was a load off her family's shoulders.
"A lot of relief because now we know where she is," said Whitehead's aunt, Jocile Hines. "The biggest, hardest part was not knowing where she was and, now that we know where she is, that's a big burden off their hearts."
"Right then and there my heart dropped," said Kenneth Johnson, Whitehead's boyfriend. "We did not know where she was at. We did not know and the whole time she was in that creek. Britinae was a sweet girl."
The NC State Highway Patrol was handling the vehicle accident investigation along with the Halifax County Sheriff's Office.
halifax county, accident, local/state
- Tractor trailer collides with SUV in Johnston County 5 min ago
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Deputies shoot, kill female suspect
- Raleigh holds annual backyard chicken coops tour 25 min ago
- NC beach town celebrates 50th anniversary 21 min ago
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Eric Staal returns to Raleigh for MRI
- Child attacked by pit bull dog
- Man attempts to rob Zebulon bank
- Driver faces DWI charge after pedestrian accident
- Golfing great Ken Venturi dies at age 82
- Friend: Murdered mom deleted Facebook due to ex-husband