Missing woman found in submerged car
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police say a missing Rocky Mount woman has been found dead in a submerged car.
Britinae Rachelle Whitehead, 21, was last seen leaving a friend's home on White Oak Road in Enfield on Tuesday around 9 a.m.
On Thursday, her body was found inside a Honda Accord submerged in a body of water near Adcock Road in Halifax County.
Whitehead's family had been searching for her for days. Late Thursday, they found a hubcap from her vehicle and skid marks going into a creek.
Soon divers were on the scene and discovered the submerged car with Whitehead's body inside.
Despite the bad news, the discovery was a load off her family's shoulders.
"A lot of relief because now we know where she is," said Whitehead's aunt, Jocile Hines. "The biggest, hardest part was not knowing where she was and, now that we know where she is, that's a big burden off their hearts."
"Right then and there my heart dropped," said Kenneth Johnson, Whitehead's boyfriend. "We did not know where she was at. We did not know and the whole time she was in that creek. Britinae was a sweet girl."
The NC State Highway Patrol was handling the vehicle accident investigation along with the Halifax County Sheriff's Office.
halifax county, accident, local/state
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co. 49 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine
- DOT worker charged in officer's death
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police canvass area for information about rape suspect 41 min ago
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth 32 min ago
- Hatchell: Star freshman DeShields leaving UNC
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets