Tart sentenced to prison for fatal crash
LILLINGTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- A judge has sentenced Dillon Tart to 50 to 70 months in prison for the death of his girlfriend, 16-year-old Ashley Moore.
The sentence came after Tart pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter Monday.
Officials estimate Tart was going at least 65 miles per hour in the Dunn Wal-Mart's parking lot when he crashed, killing Moore.
The state contended the accident was intentional. However, defense lawyers said he had a seizure as part of his epilepsy.
Just before sentencing, Tart apologized and, with tears in his eyes, said he loved his girlfriend.
Moore's father spoke after the sentencing.
"It adds a little closure, but it will never be the same," said Mike Moore.
Both families left the courtroom in tears.
harnett county, accident, local/state
- Senate leader at odds with Governor over Dix lease
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- 3 arrested in murder of Raleigh mother
- Video: 82nd's All American Week Division review
- Senate Republicans moving NC budget to House
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recover
- Army declares Kelli Bordeaux dead
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament