Young tells court he felt in danger with Edwards
GREENSBORO -- A former aide to presidential candidate John Edwards says he felt in danger during a back road meeting where he asked Edwards to tell the truth about his mistress.
Andrew Young testified for a fifth day Friday in Edwards' trial.
The former senator and presidential candidate has denied federal charges of misusing campaign donations to hide the affair with Rielle Hunter and the fact they had a baby together.
Young claimed he pretended to be the child's father and took Hunter into hiding to help Edwards.
Young said Friday he met Edwards on a rural road in the summer of 2008 to demand that Edwards tell the truth about the affair. He said Edwards drove them through a remote rural area and at one point he worried he was going to be killed.
He said he didn't think Edwards would do it, but said he was going up against a multi-multi-millionaire and two billionaires.
Attorneys for Edwards scoffed at his claim, implying that it was Young who threatened Edwards by exposing his emails, texts, photos and an infamous sex tape -- an objection quickly silenced. However, Young replied, "You mean by telling the truth?"
Edward's team asserted that the only one who benefitted was Young himself and brought up Young's 10-acre Chapel Hill estate -- from the former aide's swimming pool, to his $100,000 entertainment system. Young countered that a lot of his own money went into the house too.
Young's wife Cheri also took the stand Friday afternoon.
Court resumes at 9:30 a.m. Monday.
john edwards, andrew young, rielle hunter, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75