NC House Speaker's top aide resigns
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- An alleged scandal inside the state legislature has forced a top aide to resign.
Charles Thomas, the Chief-of-Staff for House Speaker Thom Tillis, is out of a job after allegations surfaced he was romantically involved with a lobbyist.
The North Carolina Home Builders Association confirmed that lobbyist Jessica Hayes was asked to resign Friday and did so.
A spokesperson for the Home Builders Association told ABC11 that Hayes began a relationship with Thomas in January.
Thomas is a former house member himself, from Asheville. He's also not only Tillis' chief of staff, he's also a close friend of the speaker's.
Tillis put out a statement about Thomas stepping down:
"...He verbally offered his resignation in an effort to ensure that outside matters not detract or distract from the work at hand. An individual's personal life should remain personal, but to avoid professional distractions from the tasks in front of us, I have accepted his resignation."
It's still unclear if any laws were broken -- state ethics laws or lobbying laws.
In the meantime, Tillis said Chris Hayes would be stepping in as chief of staff. Lawmakers meet again May 16.
local/state, jon camp
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 11 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help