Unemployment drops across state in March
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Unemployment rates fell in 98 counties across North Carolina in March, with significant drops in the Triangle and Fayetteville, the state released Friday.
The Durham and Chapel Hill area saw rates fall from 7.8 percent to 7.4 percent last month. Orange County had the state's lowest unemployment rate in March at 6.0 percent.
Raleigh and Cary also saw unemployment numbers drop. Rates fell from 8.1 percent in February to 7.8 percent in March.
Fayetteville numbers are below 10 percent, falling to 9.6 percent.
North Carolina had 35 counties that were at or below the state's seasonally unadjusted unemployment rate of 9.6 percent. Unemployment rates decreased in all 14 Metropolitan Statistical Areas.
The number of workers employed increased in March by 14,122 to 4,197,446. Those unemployed decreased 26,890 to 444,977.
"Over-the-year numbers show a positive downward trend as we continue to focus on supporting employees by growing jobs in North Carolina," said N.C. Department of Commerce Deputy Secretary Dale Carroll. "We offer job search assistance, resume writing and many other programs at our employment service offices statewide for citizens in the job market."
Since March 2011, the number unemployed decreased 34,823 and the number employed increased 44,443.
Graham County had the highest unemployment rate in the state at 18.5 percent.
- Ice, rain, wind causing slick roads, delays, outages 10 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- The latest ABC11 First Alert Weather forecast
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help