Two killed in Fuquay-Varina house fire
FUQUAY-VARINA (WTVD) -- Two people died in a fire that ripped through a Fuquay-Varina home Sunday morning.
It happened around 7:30 a.m. in the 100 block of Bridge Street.
Authorities said six people were inside the house when the blaze broke out. Two people were killed -- neighbors identified them as a stepfather and stepson.
On Monday, police identified them as 59-year-old Leroy Dunlap and 46-year-old Arthur Lee Harris Jr. They said both victims were found in the basement of the home where the fire appeared to have started.
"I think the smoke was what was dramatic about it," neighbor James Partridge said. "I think that was really what took the people out."
The incident is still under investigation. Officials have not yet determined the cause of the fire.
The backside of the house was heavily damaged. No other injuries were reported.
The American Red Cross is currently assisting the surviving victims.
wake county, fire, local/state
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives 32 min ago
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornadoes 22 min ago
- High School coach arrested on sex charge 21 min ago
- Video: Gov. McCrory weighs in on state budget,... 16 min ago
- Lightning sparks Raleigh apartment fire
- Video: 'Valor Games' begin in Triangle
- Two cleared, others charged in murder
- Kieran Shanahan on leave from law firm
- NC House panel looking at public school grant bill
- AP Source: Jordan changing team name to Hornets
- Gov. McCrory weighs in on state budget,...
16 min ago
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
27 min ago
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornados
20 min ago