Authorities break down Inn door during search
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Authorities in Durham broke down a door at a local inn Thursday morning during a search for a suspect wanted in an alleged domestic dispute.
Officers surrounded the Carolina Duke Inn on Guess Road around 10 a.m.
Images from Chopper11 HD showed several officers, along with SWAT team members, outside rooms in the motel's parking lot, as residents stood by and watched in shock.
Around 10:30 a.m., the SWAT team moved in and rammed the door of one of the end units. A man, later identified as 51-year-old Randy Brantley, emerged from the room, wearing only red boxers and white socks, with his hands up. He was immediately arrested.
"The door is off the hinges," witness Brian Wilson said. "They busted all the windows out of his van."
According to officials, Brantley was wanted for allegedly physically abusing his girlfriend Wednesday night. They said her injuries were not life-threatening, but she had to be treated at the hospital.
Brantley was charged with assault on a female, assault by strangulation and kidnapping. He was placed in Durham County Jail without bond.
durham county, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help