Death penalty sought in JT Tire murders
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The Durham County prosecutor is seeking the death penalty against the suspect in the JT Tire slayings.
Back in March, witnesses said a robber walked into the store and started shooting. Sixty-five-year-old Naomi Turner Wright and 32-year-old Abdelgadir Mergany Abdelganir were killed.
Fifty-one year-old Terry Shaw and another man -- Javier Ramirez -- were hurt.
Twenty-four-year-old O'Brian McNeil White was later charged with two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, and one count of robbery.
On Wednesday during a Rule 24 Hearing -- a hearing where the prosecution must say whether they will seek the death penalty -- White was all smiles and blew a kiss to an unknown woman in the courtroom.
"The state is at this time announcing we will be proceeding on the capitol murder, death penalty in each murder case," Asst. DA Charlene Coggins-Franks said.
The prosecution laid out their arguments as to why they are seeking the death penalty, and the judge agreed there was sufficient evidence to proceed.
- He then shot two more individuals, one was working on a car, Terry Shaw, that would be the felonious assault he was shot in the head but he has survived. He also shot another customer. John Turner and Naomi Wright were taken into the room where the money was, and the defendant made Miss Naomi Wright throw money into a bag the defendant was holding and he kept yelling at her she wasn't doing it quick enough. He finally said (expletive) you're not doing it fast enough, he shot her in the chest, she dropped, and she is also deceased.
The prosecution went on say White turned the gun on the owner, but had run out of bullets, so beat him with the weapon instead.
durham county, shooting, local/state
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Crawleigh's I-440 lane closures got off to a rough start
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help