I-95 re-opens hours after fatal fiery crash
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WTVD) -- A fiery tanker truck crash late Wednesday night killed one driver and caused several lane closures on Interstate 95 Thursday morning.
The accident happened around 9:30 p.m. at mile marker 138 northbound, which is one mile south of the I-95/U.S. 64 interchange, near Rocky Mount.
Authorities said three tractor trailers, including a tanker truck that was hauling used cooking oil, collided after one of the trucks traveling south, crossed the median and struck the other two tractor trailers, which were heading north.
John Michael Jenkins of Rincon, Ga., who was driving one of the trucks, was flown to UNC Hospitals Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he later passed away.
Jerome Kinsey of Orlando, Fla., was also identified as an operator of one of the trucks involved. Kinsey was transported to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville and is currently listed in critical condition.
The third truck involved was operated by Lacy Downing of Winston-Salem. Downing was treated and released from Nash General Hospital with minor injuries.
Fire officials told ABC11 that all three tractor trailers caught fire. It took crews about an hour to get the blazes under control. The cause of the accident is still under investigation.
The southbound lanes of I-95 were shut down shortly after the accident, but soon re-opened. The northbound lane of Interstate 95 was closed to all traffic for 13 hours as crews worked to clean the cooking oil off the interstate. It later re-opened at 10:30 a.m.
Signs have been placed along the interstate reminding motorists to drive with caution through the area because of damage to the road surface.
nash county, i95, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help