U.S. Army Staff Sergeant shot by police officer dies
Fayetteville (WTVD) -- A soldier shot after an alleged confrontation with three Fayetteville police officers died on Saturday.
Twenty-seven-year-old U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Mark Lewis Salazar died at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, Fayetteville police said Sunday.
The shooting happened around 3 a.m. on May 5 when police responded to calls of shots being fired in the 6500 block of Pacific Avenue.
The three arriving officers spotted Salazar standing in the driveway of 6505 Pacific Avenue. Police said he had a handgun.
Salazar was wounded and taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center where he had been listed in critical but stable condition.
The details of his death were not released.
The three officers involved were placed on administrative leave with pay and are identified as James Tart, Michael Bohannon, and Chase Robinson. Tart has 17 years of service, Bohannon has six, and Robinson has been on the force for three years.
The Fayetteville Police department said the officers gave several commands for Salazar to drop the gun but said one officer shot Salazar when he had allegedly raised his weapon.
Salazar was assigned to the U.S. Army Special Operations Command.
The shooting remains under investigation by the State Bureau of Investigation.
shooting, cumberland county, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 9 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- NCCU new head football coach named
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help