Former UNC President Friday hospitalized
CHAPEL HILL -- A spokeswoman for UNC Hospital confirmed Wednesday that former UNC System President William Friday was listed in critical condition.
Further information on the 91 year old's condition wasn't released.
Friday served as the head of the University of North Carolina system from 1956 to 1986.
He led the school through integration, the sponsorship of the state education network and its growth into a 16-campus university system. He also helped with the formation of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Since retiring as president, Friday has continued to push to keep college affordable and supported programs to reduce poverty and illiteracy. He also has his own show on UNC-TV called "North Carolina People" that he last taped earlier this month.
Friday had open heart surgery in 2009.
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help