Womble charged in fatal crash
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WTVD) -- State Rep. Larry Womble has been charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle in connection with a fatal crash in December.
The Forsyth County Democrat turned himself in at the magistrate's office in Winston-Salem Thursday afternoon.
Police said Womble's car crossed the center line and crashed head on into another car Dec. 2, killing its driver, 54-year-old David Allen Carmichael of Winston-Salem.
In January, blood-alcohol results from both drivers released showed Womble had no alcohol in his system. Carmichael's blood-alcohol level was 0.29. The limit to be legally drunk in North Carolina is 0.08.
The accident left Womble hospitalized in critical condition for several days.
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire 32 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 3 min ago
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Community comes together to fight for Maddison
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75 13 min ago
- NC Central tops Norfolk St 68-45 23 min ago
- Arrest warrants issued in Gates Four shooting
- Former sailor in iconic WWII photo dies