Wake County man charged with wife's murder
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A man accused of murdering his wife and driving her body across state lines, is now in the Wake County jail.
Deputies were alerted to the home of 42-year-old Sonny Howard Wednesday, after neighbors alerted officials of what appeared to be a body in the backyard.
When officials arrived at the home on Creedmoor Road in Raleigh, no one was at the residence.
Deputies then put out an alert for Howard's green pick-up truck. Police in Galax, Va. were able to stop a car matching the description. Officers said they found Howard driving the vehicle with his wife Sherry's body in the bed of the truck.
Officers said it appeared Sherry was murdered in Wake County, but it's unclear exactly where.
"We don't know if it occurred [at the home] or not," said Harrison. "That's what we've got to piece together, and that's why we're treating this as a crime scene."
Deputies said the couple had a teen son together. It's unclear if the two had a history of domestic violence.
Sonny was being held in the New River Valley Regional Jail in Virginia before being extradited to the Wake County Jail Friday.
He is charged with the murder of his 50-year-old wife and is being held without bond.
wake county, homicide, local/state
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help