No bond for alleged Chapel Hill shooter
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- A man suspected of gunning down his wife as she sat in the carpool lane at Mary Scroggs Elementary School Friday was ordered held without bond at a hearing Tuesday afternoon.
Police arrested 49-year-old Ali Cherfaoui, of Carrboro on Hwy 15-501 shortly after 40-year-old Chahnaz Kebaier was shot multiple times. She died a short time later at the hospital. Cherfaoui was charged with murder.
According to records obtained by ABC11 Tuesday, Kebaier had obtained a protective order against Cherfaoui last June. The pair was married in 2005.
The court document states Cherfaoui threatened to kill Kebaier if she took their children and that he was "willing to be a martyr" for them.
At his court appearance Tuesday, Cherfaoui looked down and showed no emotion.
Through social media, ABC11 learned the pair lived together in New York and Philadelphia. Kebaier was working as a researcher at the UNC Center for Infectious Diseases when she died.
"She worked in the laboratory since 2009 studying the factors that contribute to the severe nature of certain bacterial infections. She is remembered by her colleagues as an intelligent and thoughtful scientist but even more so as a dedicated mother and friend. She will be deeply missed by her associates at UNC," said the Duncan Laboratory at the UNC Center for Infectious Diseases in a written statement.
Counselors were back at Scroggs Elementary Tuesday to help students or staff who needed help coping with what happened in front of the school Friday.
orange county, shooting, local/state
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington State 27 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- NC NAACP calls for June 3 rally for next protest 54 min ago
- Father sought after baby found with burns 47 min ago
- Gray seal spending time on NC beaches
- Charlotte mom has son jailed for stealing Pop Tarts
- Police investigate Durham bank robbery
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Authorities: Barricade situation didn't happen
- Suspect in Raleigh murder has criminal past
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season