Suspect in high speed chase, shooting sought
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A lockdown at three schools has been lifted after a passenger and driver fled on foot after a chase.
A passenger in what appeared to be a black Nissan Maxima allegedly fired at authorities as officials pursued the car through at least three counties.
The chase began in Granville County around 11 a.m. following a breaking and entering. Authorities said they found two men in the home who stole handguns before they fled. The suspects then allegedly fired shots at deputies in pursuit.
The chase quickly went through Durham and Wake Counties as speeds reached 110 and 115 mph.
Deputies with the Granville County Sheriff Office chased after the car with two suspects inside, before the North Carolina Highway Patrol took over.
A spokesman for the State Highway Patrol told ABC11 that the chase wound through Wake County before ending in Durham. The car crashed through a row of mailboxes on Highway 98 and stopped in the parking lot of Walker's Garage.
Torrey Williams said he heard it before he saw it.
"I heard a loud boom and so I didn't know it was gunshots until I came out and everybody heard a lot of shooting," said Williams.
After the crash, the suspects jumped out and ran.
One suspect was arrested. Authorities said another man, who may be armed and dangerous is on the loose. Police are looking for 34-year-old Iresha Summers. He's described as 5' 6" tall with short dread locks. He was wearing a white t-shirt and jeans.
Oak Grove Elementary, Spring Valley Elementary and Southern High School were on lockdown for much of the afternoon as a precaution. Lockdowns were lifted shortly after 5 p.m.
durham county, local/state, jon camp
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day 2 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches
- Defense wraps after Abaroa's mom's testimony 8 min ago
- Fayetteville man indicted on sex charges with minors
- Police investigate Durham bank robbery 52 min ago
- Volunteers place flags for Memorial Day 21 min ago
- 'Horrified' trucker watches I-5 bridge collapse
- Super PAC created for possible Tillis Senate bid
- Broadwell expresses remorse for Petraeus affair
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- NC NAACP calls for June 3 rally for next protest
- Volunteers place flags for Memorial Day
20 min ago
- Police investigate Durham bank robbery
25 min ago