Man opens fire on trucker in Cumberland Co.
EASTOVER, N.C. (WTVD) -- Someone opened fire on a trucker in Eastover on Memorial Day. Authorities have arrested the man they say did the shooting but now he's out of jail.
Neighbors said that man, Michael Lee, is a Vietnam veteran who shoots guns in his yard on a regular basis. However, no one knows why he started shooting at the truck and its driver.
Morris Taylor believes God spared his life Monday. Taylor was making a run for J&L Environmental on Beard Road when bullets started lighting up his truck.
"There's no doubt in my mind he [Lee] was not trying to shoot my truck. He was aiming at my head," said Taylor.
Lee lives in a house on Custer Avenue. When Taylor passed in front of Lee's house Monday morning, Lee started shooting. Taylor jumped from the truck and ran into the woods.
"When I got out of the truck, he continued to follow me shooting to try and murder me," said Taylor. "No doubt in my mind. He was trying to kill me."
Taylor said Lee also shot up a truck in the company's parking lot on Monday morning. He's accused of shooting holes in a mobile home on the property on Saturday.
Authorities arrested Lee Monday and confiscated three rifles and a handgun. He was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center for an evaluation. However, ABC11 has learned that Lee was released and is back at home. That news has Taylor upset.
"I've been having panic attacks, nightmares," said Taylor. "I can't sleep at night. I hurt my back. I can't work, which I can't get money for my family. He's sitting at home."
Lee has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon and injury to personal property. He's been released on bond but he may still be taken into custody. The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office said the incident is still under investigation.
cumberland county, shooting, local/state, gilbert baez
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Billy Graham weaker since 95th birthday party
- Shooting reported in Raleigh
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- Serial bank robber arrested in Durham
- Bubba the goat is no longer on the lam
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help