Woman dies from accidental gunshot wound
BROADWAY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A woman was killed Wednesday in an accidental shooting in Harnett County, according to deputies.
The shooting happened around 10:30 a.m. in a home in the Pine Hollow Mobile Home Park near Broadway.
Investigators said a gun was accidentally dropped or knocked to the floor. When it dropped, it went off and shot 23-year-old Nicole Fitts in the head.
Fitts died from the gunshot wound.
Deputies said Fitts lived in the home with her fiancé and three young children. Officials told ABC11 Fitts fiancé and another person were in the home at the time of the shooting, but have not said whether the children were there.
Friends of Fitts said she was always full of life and will be missed by many in the community.
"Every time you saw her she had a smile. She was a good mother, a good friend, never had an enemy in the world," Pitts friend Necey Shumpert said. "I miss her dearly. I hate this happened."
Fitts' family asked ABC11 viewers to keep her three children and the rest of their family in their prayers.
harnett county, shooting, local/state, greg barnes
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co.
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine
- DOT worker charged in officer's death
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police canvass area for information about rape suspect
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth 53 min ago
- Hatchell: Star freshman DeShields leaving UNC
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets