Woman dies from accidental gunshot wound
BROADWAY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A woman was killed Wednesday in an accidental shooting in Harnett County, according to deputies.
The shooting happened around 10:30 a.m. in a home in the Pine Hollow Mobile Home Park near Broadway.
Investigators said a gun was accidentally dropped or knocked to the floor. When it dropped, it went off and shot 23-year-old Nicole Fitts in the head.
Fitts died from the gunshot wound.
Deputies said Fitts lived in the home with her fiancé and three young children. Officials told ABC11 Fitts fiancé and another person were in the home at the time of the shooting, but have not said whether the children were there.
Friends of Fitts said she was always full of life and will be missed by many in the community.
"Every time you saw her she had a smile. She was a good mother, a good friend, never had an enemy in the world," Pitts friend Necey Shumpert said. "I miss her dearly. I hate this happened."
Fitts' family asked ABC11 viewers to keep her three children and the rest of their family in their prayers.
harnett county, shooting, local/state, greg barnes
- Search for missing swimmer to resume Thursday
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- NWS confirms Franklin County tornado
- Wake superintendent named, controversy begins
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died
- Former TWA Flight 800 investigators want new probe
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped