Owner says dog not responsible for man's death
ROXBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Person County dog owner said his pet is the victim of mistaken identity.
Antonio Ford maintains that his dog is not responsible for a deadly dog attack that happened about two weeks ago.
Authorities said 65-year-old Eugene Cameron was house sitting for Ford's next-door neighbor when he was found dead in the home of an apparent mauling. According to neighbors and investigators, Cameron was discovered naked with wounds that may have caused him to bleed to death.
The Person County Sheriff's Office took Ford's Pitbull mix, DMX, out of his custody and to the local pound pending an investigation.
"Right now we feel pretty confident we have the right one. I've talked to him and I've told him that if we prove it's not his animal, he'll get his animal back. If not, then we'll pursue different avenues," Sheriff Dewey Jones said.
Authorities said they are building their case right down to DMX's teeth and the bite marks found on Cameron's body.
"They may have to help on some of these comparisons with hair found off the victim versus the hair we got off the dog," said Jones.
Ford is convinced the evidence will not lead to DMX as the killer.
"Where's your evidence? For real? I gave you my dog in good faith, knowing that my dog is coming back because he stays in the house," said Ford.
Ford has publicly vented his frustrations with the Sheriff's Office by posting a sign suggesting investigators have the wrong dog.
If officials determine DMX was responsible for Cameron's death, Ford could face criminal charges including manslaughter or second-degree murder.
ABC11 has also learned that the FBI could also get involved in the investigation.
person county, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- Lockdown lifted at Wingate University
- Fayetteville bank robber sought 26 min ago
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48 4 min ago
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Group tasked with keeping kids safe at school
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help