Couple facing charges in Durham man's death
ASHEBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- A couple is currently facing charges in connection to the death of a missing Durham man.
Police said the remains of 31-year-old John Morris were found at the couple's Randolph County home on Wednesday. Morris was last seen May 25.
According to the Randolph County Sheriff, Maynard B. Reid, Jr., Morris' body was burned along with his yellow Jeep Wrangler.
Reid told ABC11 that investigators found car parts with serial numbers that made it possible to identify the vehicle.
Randolph County authorities said they believed Morris, who was a contractor for Cisco in Durham, traveled to Asheboro, where he had once lived, to visit his ex-girlfriend, 21-year-old Jessica Summey.
Summey was also apparently dating 24-year-old Shaun Lundy. The pair were arrested in Virginia Thursday morning after authorities tracked down their relatives in area.
Sheriff Reid stopped short of revealing a motive Friday, but said investigators haven't ruled out a "love triangle."
According to Morris' friends, his parents passed away when he was a child and they don't know why anyone would harm him.
"He's easily the most loving person anyone's ever met," Crystal Ignatowski said. "I don't understand why anyone would hurt him."
"It was a senseless crime," Morris' friend Doug Wright said. "There was absolutely no reason for them to do what they did to him."
Morris' remains have been sent to the North Carolina Chief Medical Examiner's Office in Chapel Hill for positive identification.
Summey and Lundy are currently being held in the Tazewell County Jail without bond, awaiting extradition back to Randolph County.
Sheriff Reid said in addition to murder, the couple could face other charges. He said they also haven't ruled out the possibility of additional arrests in the case.
homicide, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help