Police: Woman claims she was almost abducted
SMITHFIELD (WTVD) -- Authorities in Smithfield are investigating allegations that three men tried to abduct a woman Thursday.
It allegedly happened around 6:30 p.m. in the 400 block of Hospital Road.
The woman, 29, told officers that she had gone to a convenience store at the intersection of Hospital and Buffalo roads to purchase cigarettes when three African American men in the parking lot tried to get her to ride with them after engaging her in a conversation.
She said she stopped talking to the men and went inside the store.
After leaving the store, the woman said she was walking home down Hospital Road, when the men approached her again in a dark-colored Dodge Neon.
She said the suspects again tried to get her to ride with them, but she refused. The woman told police that one of the men in the backseat then grabbed her by the arm and tried to pull her into the car. The woman screamed and was able to get away.
The suspects were described as African American men in their early 20s. Police said the man that allegedly grabbed the victim had short hair and a goatee. He was last seen wearing a white T-shirt, dark colored shorts and dark shoes.
Authorities said the incident appeared to be an isolated incident. They said it does not appear to be connected to another attempted abduction reported back in April in South Smithfield.
Both cases are under investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Johnson at the Smithfield Police Department (919) 934-2121 or (919) 989-1063 or the Smithfield Police Department's tip line at (919) 989-8835.
johnston county, local/state, kelli o'hara
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress
- Laurence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial
- Family gets new home for holidays 10 min ago
- Police recover stolen storm grates
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Ga. woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- Film, TV productions spend $250 million in NC
- Family gets new home for holidays
10 min ago
- Consumer Alert: Online dating scams
52 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help