Driver traveling wrong way, charged in fatal wreck
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A 23-year-old Wake County woman is facing several charges in connection with a fatal accident that shut down the Beltline Sunday.
The accident happened around 4:20 a.m. on I-440 between Western Boulevard and Hillsborough Street.
Raleigh Police said 23-year-old Sarah Aimee Carden was driving the wrong way in the westbound lanes when a car swerved to miss her and crashed.
According to the accident report, 30-year-old Tshimpangil Bajani ran off the roadway, overcorrected and overturned. His vehicle flipped several times, before crossing over the guardrail.
Bajani was killed, while his passenger, 25-year-old Adrina Angelica Moore, suffered serious injuries. Moore was later released from the hospital Sunday.
Police said Carden was still driving the wrong way on I-440 when the North Carolina Highway Patrol stopped her near Six Forks Road. They said Carden's alcohol blood level was .16 -- more than twice the legal limit.
She was taken into custody and charged with; felony death by vehicle, felony serious injury by vehicle, felony hit-and-run resulting in death, felony fleeing to elude arrest, careless and reckless driving, driving while impaired, and traveling the wrong way on a dual lane highway.
Carden had previously been charged for injury to personal property on May 30 in an unrelated incident.
Meanwhile, both directions of I-440 had to be closed for several hours as authorities cleared the scene.
wake county, accident, i440, raleigh police, nc highway patrol, local/state
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday 48 min ago
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County 53 min ago
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash 46 min ago
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4 44 min ago
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- Some travel delays at RDU due to storms
7 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help