A dozen wrecks halt I-40 during rush hour
A series of chain reaction wrecks shut down all lanes of westbound Interstate 40 at Hwy 751 near the Streets at Southpoint Monday afternoon.
Eastbound lanes were also slowed to a crawl by onlookers.
Officials said the cause of the accident was due to an 18-wheeler fishtailing in the rain near NC Highway 751.
Other vehicles followed which caused a bus to hit four cars, spawning more wrecks about 100 yards back.
Authorities said paramedics took four people to Duke Hospital and one to UNC for treatment of minor injuries.
The most severe injury reported was a broken wrist.
Motorists traveling through the Triangle were urged to get off I-40 at the Durham Freeway (Exit 279B) and follow that to I-85 South and back to I-40.
By 6 p.m. westbound lanes had reopened to slow moving traffic, as crews continued to remove wreckage and clean up the scene.
durham county, i40, accident, local/state
- NAACP, students challenge education changes
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Large amount of meth found near Raleigh airport 16 min ago
- Possible tornado damage reported in Franklin County
- Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident 41 min ago
- Baby born on Raleigh Beltline
- UNC-Chapel Hill to conduct emergency drill
- NC undocumented ask for in-state tuition prices 35 min ago
- Obama renews call for nuclear reductions
- Hearings begin for Duke Energy's 5 percent hike
- NC Senate takes up energy conservation rollback
- UCLA defeats Wolfpack 2-1 at College World Series
- North Carolina undocumented immigrants ask...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos