A dozen wrecks halt I-40 during rush hour
A series of chain reaction wrecks shut down all lanes of westbound Interstate 40 at Hwy 751 near the Streets at Southpoint Monday afternoon.
Eastbound lanes were also slowed to a crawl by onlookers.
Officials said the cause of the accident was due to an 18-wheeler fishtailing in the rain near NC Highway 751.
Other vehicles followed which caused a bus to hit four cars, spawning more wrecks about 100 yards back.
Authorities said paramedics took four people to Duke Hospital and one to UNC for treatment of minor injuries.
The most severe injury reported was a broken wrist.
Motorists traveling through the Triangle were urged to get off I-40 at the Durham Freeway (Exit 279B) and follow that to I-85 South and back to I-40.
By 6 p.m. westbound lanes had reopened to slow moving traffic, as crews continued to remove wreckage and clean up the scene.
durham county, i40, accident, local/state
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured 53 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets 48 min ago
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
48 min ago
- Alliance says Raleigh downtown has lot to...
51 min ago