A dozen wrecks halt I-40 during rush hour
A series of chain reaction wrecks shut down all lanes of westbound Interstate 40 at Hwy 751 near the Streets at Southpoint Monday afternoon.
Eastbound lanes were also slowed to a crawl by onlookers.
Officials said the cause of the accident was due to an 18-wheeler fishtailing in the rain near NC Highway 751.
Other vehicles followed which caused a bus to hit four cars, spawning more wrecks about 100 yards back.
Authorities said paramedics took four people to Duke Hospital and one to UNC for treatment of minor injuries.
The most severe injury reported was a broken wrist.
Motorists traveling through the Triangle were urged to get off I-40 at the Durham Freeway (Exit 279B) and follow that to I-85 South and back to I-40.
By 6 p.m. westbound lanes had reopened to slow moving traffic, as crews continued to remove wreckage and clean up the scene.
durham county, i40, accident, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help