Chatham County crash investigated
CHATHAM COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A serious accident tied up traffic in northern Chatham County late Friday afternoon and evening.
It happened about 5:40 p.m. in the 2200-block of Lystra Road, which is just south of Chapel Hill.
Troopers said a Honda Accord with four people inside ran off the road, overcorrected, and then hit a tree on the other side of the road.
All four people inside the car were taken to UNC Hospitals. Troopers said 19-year-old Chelsea Cooper was driving and suffered the worst injuries. She was in ICU.
The passengers were 41-year-old Elizabeth Brown, 14-year-old Jason Barnes, and 16-year-old Katie Barnes. Brown is Jason and Katie's mother.
According to officials, speed is likely a factor in the crash. The accident happened in a 45 mph zone, but speed estimates have not been determined.
chatham county, accident, local/state
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- High School coach arrested on sex charge
- Two cleared, others charged in murder
- Kieran Shanahan on leave from law firm
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornados 46 min ago
- NC House panel looking at public school grant bill
- AP Source: Jordan changing team name to Hornets
- NC NAACP protests reach highest arrest count yet
- Frightening moments for family with Okla. ties
- Hazmat situation at Raleigh apt. complex
- Forensic expert reads emails from Janet...
51 min ago
- New technology helps teen regain use of arms
27 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to Help
51 min ago