Runaway SUV injures three at RDU
RALEIGH-DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (WTVD) -- Airport officials said three people were hurt by a runaway SUV outside RDU's Terminal 2 Monday evening around 7 p.m.
According to investigators, 20-year-old Christopher Dashawn Mazyck of Durham stopped his 2002 Mitsubishi Montero in front of Baggage Claim 2, on the lower level, and got out to pick up passengers.
Officials said the vehicle's transmission was not left in "park," and it started rolling forward. Mazyck jumped back into the SUV in an attempt to stop it, but investigators said he hit the gas pedal instead of the brake - causing the vehicle to jump the curb.
Genevee Dillard of Durham was hit by the Mitsubishi. She was taken to WakeMed, where she was treated and released. Two other people were injured as they jumped out of the way of the runaway vehicle. They were treated at the scene.
Officials said three signs worth $2,000 were also damaged by the moving vehicle and will be replaced.
Mazyck was charged with a "safe movement" traffic violation.
raleigh durham airport, accident, local/state
- Suspect arrested in Raleigh bank robbery
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Public hearing held on Cumberland Co. gun range
- Customer robbed outside Cary bank
- Sinkhole closes Blowing Rock outlet mall in NC
- McCrory: Budget deal may not happen by July
- Woman facing murder charges in Falls Lake death
- NC Democrats, chairman reach complaint settlement
- NC finds first evidence of ash tree killing bug
- Duke Energy rate increase would average 5 percent
- Human remains found in Durham
- Fire displaces 3 Cary families