Runaway SUV injures three at RDU
RALEIGH-DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (WTVD) -- Airport officials said three people were hurt by a runaway SUV outside RDU's Terminal 2 Monday evening around 7 p.m.
According to investigators, 20-year-old Christopher Dashawn Mazyck of Durham stopped his 2002 Mitsubishi Montero in front of Baggage Claim 2, on the lower level, and got out to pick up passengers.
Officials said the vehicle's transmission was not left in "park," and it started rolling forward. Mazyck jumped back into the SUV in an attempt to stop it, but investigators said he hit the gas pedal instead of the brake - causing the vehicle to jump the curb.
Genevee Dillard of Durham was hit by the Mitsubishi. She was taken to WakeMed, where she was treated and released. Two other people were injured as they jumped out of the way of the runaway vehicle. They were treated at the scene.
Officials said three signs worth $2,000 were also damaged by the moving vehicle and will be replaced.
Mazyck was charged with a "safe movement" traffic violation.
raleigh durham airport, accident, local/state
- Ice, rain, wind causing flooding, delays, outages 25 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- The latest ABC11 First Alert Weather forecast
49 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help