March against Raleigh bar planned
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Friends of a man who claims he was kicked out of a Raleigh bar because he's black say they plan a peaceful march against the establishment this weekend.
They've even set up a Facebook page to promote the event.
The business is the Downtown Sports Bar and Grill in Raleigh's trendy Glenwood South district. The bar's attorney told ABC11 Thursday that it disputes Jonathan Wall's version of what happened.
The incident has gotten national attention since a friend of Wall's posted an account in a blog post that was picked up by the website Jezebel.com.
Wall declined to speak with ABC11 about what happened Thursday, and referred us to his attorney.
A friend who was with Wall at the bar said he was shocked that Wall was kicked out because he said his friend does not have a confrontational personality.
Christopher Baskett said it began when a bouncer at the door of the club tried to deny them access.
"He said you need a membership. I've been to that bar a number of times and you do not need a membership," said Baskett.
Baskett said he later went to the restroom and returned to find Wall being thrown out by an employee.
"The guy started to force John out of the bar and I said 'What did he do wrong?'" said Baskett. "He's one of the most peaceful tempered souls on this planet. I've never seen him get in any altercation."
Baskett said the march planned for Saturday is intended to unite the community.
"We're going to let them know it's not right, there's no place for it in Raleigh. There's no place for racism, discrimination, hate in Raleigh," Baskett offered.
The attorney for the Downtown Sports Bar and Grill said they do not discriminate on the basis of race and the incident over the weekend had nothing to do with Wall being black.
He said Wall was asked to leave when he became loud and disruptive.
The attorney also said the bar is a private club and membership is required. He said only members and guests are allowed inside in accordance with ABC Commission regulations.
wake county, local/state, diane wilson
- Enloe High student charged in gun store break-ins
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- 7 hurt, 1 missing in Davidson County boat wreck
- Crews respond to another water rescue on Cape Fear River 52 min ago
- NC troopers to crack down on texting while driving
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Duke beats Cornell to advance to lacrosse final 45 min ago
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Authorities search for Iowa teen amid rain, wind 35 min ago
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches