Clerk shot at Wake County convenience store
WAKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- The manhunt continues for the person who deputies said shot a man at a Wake County gas station. It happened at the corner of Penny and Olde South Roads just after 9 p.m. Thursday.
Jerry Fuquay, who co-owns the gas station, was shot in the neck during an apparent armed robbery as he was closing the store.
"He was closing the store and locking it and they run up and ambushed him and shot him in the neck. It was over a pack of cigarettes and $15 worth of gas," said Fuquay's friend, Keith Jaques.
Although wounded, Fuquay was able to speak when Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison arrived on the scene.
"It appeared to be a black male that possibly had a mask on," Harrison said.
The Wake County Sheriff's Office said it's unclear if the suspect got away on foot or by car.
Neighbors told ABC11 that there have been about a half-dozen robberies at the store before, but no one was ever hurt.
Thomas Vann, who lives next door to the store, said Fuquay is from Durham and owns a convenience store there too.
Fuquay is currently recovering at WakeMed. He was last listed in good condition.
Deputies are asking anyone with more information about the incident to contact them.
There are only surveillance cameras inside the store so there is no picture of the gunman. That's why detectives want to talk with anyone who was in the area around the time of the shooting.
wake county, shooting, local/state
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Target investigating credit card breach 11 min ago
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping 5 min ago
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Family gets new home for holidays
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress
- Laurence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial
- Police recover stolen storm grates
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help