Marine charged with killing 15-year-old girl
JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Onslow County Sheriff's Office has charged a Marine with first-degree murder in the death of a 15-year-old girl.
Twenty-four-year-old Pernell Devon Jones of Richlands Highway, Jacksonville was held without bond.
Investigators said Jones was involved in a domestic dispute with his estranged girlfriend - Shermetryce Danilla Grasty - at a home in the 100 block of Weatherington Rd. around 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
During the argument, Jones allegedly stabbed Grasty's 15-year-old sister in the abdomen and shot her with a pump shotgun. The girl died later at Onslow Memorial Hospital.
Deputies did not identify the dead teen, but the Jacksonville Daily News said she was Anita Renee Law. Deputies said Jones is stationed at Camp Lejeune.
After the alleged shooting, deputies said Jones tried to flee in his car, but ran off the road and crashed into a ditch. He was arrested without incident.
shooting, stabbing, homicide, local/state
- Search for missing swimmer to resume Thursday
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- NWS confirms Franklin County tornado
- Wake superintendent named, controversy begins
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died
- Former TWA Flight 800 investigators want new probe
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos