Son-in-law of woman found dead in garage arrested
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The son-in-law of an 81-year-old woman who was gunned down in her garage, is now facing murder charges.
Alraree Norris was found shot to death in her David Street home on Sunday. Details surrounding her death have not been released.
Person County Sheriff's deputies arrested William "Bill" Grider and charged him with his mother-in-law's death Wednesday around 11:30 p.m.
The 48-year-old Timberlake man appeared before a judge Thursday morning looking frail and in a wheelchair. He told the judge through a public defender that he has a lung condition and other ailments that require medical attention.
Grider asked that he get a $2 million bond, saying that he has two children and only a traffic citation on his criminal record, but the judge denied him bond.
She did ask that jail staff attend to his health needs, and if necessary, transfer him to Central Prison in Raleigh for safekeeping. He is currently at the Durham County jail.
Following Grider's hearing, a statement was released on behalf of Norris' daughters, Susan Norris Grider and Rebecca Norris Keith, by Keith's husband Dennis Keith.
- "We are deeply saddened by this tragic event. Our mother was a wonderful person, friend to many and servant of the church and community. She will be missed by us all. We appreciate everyone's prayers during this difficult time. We are especially appreciative of the long hours and hard work the Durham Police Department has put into this case."
Funeral services for Norris will be held next Monday at a Durham church where she had been a member for 55 years.
Grider's next hearing is scheduled for July 19.
durham county, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Target investigating credit card breach 30 min ago
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping 24 min ago
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Family gets new home for holidays
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress
- Laurence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial
- Police recover stolen storm grates
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help