Police: 14 year old's rape claims untrue
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Police say claims that a 14-year-old girl was dragged into some bushes and raped after leaving a public library last week are untrue.
The victim told authorities she left the Fayetteville Main Headquarters Library at 300 Maiden Lane in downtown around 8 p.m. June 21, and was walking through Linear Park when she said a man grabbed her and sexually assaulted her.
After the encounter, she said the man ran in the direction of Mason Street. The victim said she then returned to the library and called a parent, who called police.
Authorities later released a detailed description of the alleged suspect, who was described as a white man in his 50s.
On Thursday, officials with the Fayetteville Police Department said that they concluded their investigation after determining the incident did not happen.
Further details about the case have not been released.
cumberland county, sex offense, local/state
- Majority of number combos picked for Powerball pot
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County
- Inmate escapes from NC prison, found 4 miles away
- 2 charged with murder in Rocky Mount shooting
- Army investigates 23-year-old paratrooper's death
- Another mugging reported at Durham bank
- Man, granddaughter killed in Wayne County crash
- Pedestrian hit, killed in Fayetteville
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Eric Staal's MRI reveals good news for Caniacs
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos