Police seek attempted rape suspect
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Raleigh police are investigating at attempted rape that they said happened shortly before 2:30 a.m. on June 18.
A 22-year-old woman told police she was riding a bicycle westbound on Stafford Avenue near Chamberlain Street when she noticed a small, dark-colored SUV behind her as she traveled on Stafford. The vehicle struck her bicycle's rear tire just before she reached Chamberlain.
Police said the suspect got out of the SUV and approached the victim, who was not injured. After a brief conversation, the suspect offered to take the victim to her home.
Instead of taking the victim home, however, police said the suspect drove to her a short distance to Horse Track Alley where the suspect grabbed the victim and indicated that he intended to rape her.
The victim managed to escape and hid while the suspect fled.
The suspect is described as a white male with a medium skin tone. He was believed to be about 5 feet 7-8 inches tall with a muscular build. He had brown eyes, dark facial hair, may be in his 20s to 30s, and was wearing a black cap, blue shirt, and white and black shoes.
The suspect's vehicle is dark colored and may be a Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty, or another similar four-door SUV. The vehicle has gray leather seats. It is not new, but appeared to be in good condition.
Anyone who believes they may recognize the suspect or is vehicle is asked to call Raleigh CrimeStoppers at (919) 834-HELP.
wake county, sex offense, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds 20 min ago
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Parade & Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her