Mother who fought cancer, custody battle dies
DURHAM (WTVD) -- ABC11 has learned that the Durham mother who made national headlines after losing custody of her two children while fighting stage four breast cancer has passed away.
According to the Facebook page set up to raise awareness about Alaina Giordano's story, she passed away Monday morning. A post on the page said family and friends waited until after Friday's funeral to announce her death due to the publicity surrounding the case.
Giordano lost custody of her children to her ex-husband last year.
The judge ruled that Giordano's cancer fight was part of the reason she was losing custody.
The Facebook page said Alaina entered hospice care in her final weeks and that her children were able to be with her during that time.
durham county, local/state
- Deputies shoot, kill female suspect
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Eric Staal returns to Raleigh for MRI
- Child attacked by pit bull dog
- Man attempts to rob Zebulon bank
- Driver faces DWI charge after pedestrian accident
- Golfing great Ken Venturi dies at age 82
- Friend: Murdered mom deleted Facebook due to ex-husband
- Child charged in greenway flashing incident
- Missing man's body found in Jordan Lake
- Group against gay scout inclusion