Mother who fought cancer, custody battle dies
DURHAM (WTVD) -- ABC11 has learned that the Durham mother who made national headlines after losing custody of her two children while fighting stage four breast cancer has passed away.
According to the Facebook page set up to raise awareness about Alaina Giordano's story, she passed away Monday morning. A post on the page said family and friends waited until after Friday's funeral to announce her death due to the publicity surrounding the case.
Giordano lost custody of her children to her ex-husband last year.
The judge ruled that Giordano's cancer fight was part of the reason she was losing custody.
The Facebook page said Alaina entered hospice care in her final weeks and that her children were able to be with her during that time.
durham county, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help