Mother who fought cancer, custody battle dies
DURHAM (WTVD) -- ABC11 has learned that the Durham mother who made national headlines after losing custody of her two children while fighting stage four breast cancer has passed away.
According to the Facebook page set up to raise awareness about Alaina Giordano's story, she passed away Monday morning. A post on the page said family and friends waited until after Friday's funeral to announce her death due to the publicity surrounding the case.
Giordano lost custody of her children to her ex-husband last year.
The judge ruled that Giordano's cancer fight was part of the reason she was losing custody.
The Facebook page said Alaina entered hospice care in her final weeks and that her children were able to be with her during that time.
durham county, local/state
- Powerball players check their tickets 49 min ago
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County
- Inmate escapes from NC prison, found 4 miles away
- 2 charged with murder in Rocky Mount shooting
- Army investigates 23-year-old paratrooper's death
- Another mugging reported at Durham bank
- Man, granddaughter killed in Wayne County crash
- Pedestrian hit, killed in Fayetteville
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Eric Staal's MRI reveals good news for Caniacs
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos