Trooper kills man in traffic stop
ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Roanoke Rapids man is dead after he was shot by a state trooper during a traffic stop.
The NC Highway Patrol said it happened Friday night around 10:30 p.m. when Trooper Matt W. Pitman stopped a 2005 Dodge pick-up truck on US 158, west of Roanoke Rapids.
Officials said the trooper determined that 64-year-old James Russell Moore, of Roanoke Rapids, had been drinking after he smelled a strong odor of alcohol. He ordered Moore out of the vehicle and discovered the driver had a concealed weapon in his pocket.
Moore was ordered to lie down on the ground and to not make any movements toward the weapon.
Officials said the trooper had given Moore the command several times before he reached into his pocket and raised a loaded handgun towards the trooper.
Pitman fired his weapon at Moore, wounding him.
Moore was taken to Halifax Regional Medical Center where he died from his injuries.
Pitman was placed on administrative duty, per standard procedure, while the State Bureau of Investigation reviews the case.
halifax county, shooting, nc highway patrol, local/state
- Raven Abaroa's mom tells Janet to dump son 6 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- 2 arrested after flight from Pakistan diverted
- Dean named provost at UNC-Chapel Hill
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- Officers stand in for fallen comrade at graduation 12 min ago
- 5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif.
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- McNeill found guilty of first-degree murder
- Father sought after baby found with burns
- Man charged in girlfriend's stabbing death
- Gray seal spending time on NC beaches
- NC NAACP calls for June 3 rally for next...
1 min ago