Man arrested following fatal shooting, standoff
WAKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- A man who allegedly shot and killed his wife Tuesday night, surrendered to police Wednesday morning following a six hour standoff.
Fernando Palma Carias was taken into custody just after 6:30 a.m.
Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison told ABC11 that the 47-year-old shot and killed his wife, Marisol Mendoza Rojas, at the couple's home in the 5700 block of Manor Plantation Drive around 9 p.m. Tuesday. Harrison said the couple's two teenage children were at home at the time of the shooting. They were not hurt.
Carias' attorney, Nan Guirguis, convinced Carias to turn himself in to police and helped set up a meeting place on Falls of Neuse Road, which was about 30 minutes from his home. However when Carias arrived, he exited his car and put a gun to his head, according to authorities.
"He was going to give himself up and for some reason, he decided he didn't want to give himself up when we met," Harrison said. "You just have to have patience in this type thing and that's what paid off today."
After hours of negotiating with his attorney and family members, Carias surrendered and was taken into custody. He was not hurt.
"(Guirguis) talked with him, we talked with him, we even got some of the family members," Harrison said. "I don't know who they were, but they were family members. I put them in a location where they were out of harms way, but they could still talk with him and he just decided to give up.
Harrison said Carias will be charged with first-degree murder.
wake county, shooting, local/state
- Possible tornado damage reported in Franklin County 17 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Wake County Schools name new superintendent
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire 51 min ago
- Did Wake Co teacher encourage bullying?
- UNC ousts Tigers from CWS with 4-2 win
- Are there repercussions to 'Moral Monday' arrests?
- Southern Pines officer remembered 19 min ago
- New charge for man in Raleigh hit and run
- Fayetteville man faces 139 sex charges
- Long road to recovery for child attacked by dog
- New England Patriots star to be question about a murder