Triangle celebrates Independence Day
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Fireworks and celebrations lit up the night skies across the Triangle Wednesday in honor of Independence Day.
For the first time in decades, Raleigh held its annual Fourth of July celebration in downtown instead of the State Fairgrounds.
Music, performers and food vendors filled the streets in downtown Raleigh welcoming people from across Wake County and North Carolina.
"It's Independence Day. It's Fourth of July," said Lisa Pearson, of Raleigh. "It's definitely worth celebrating and it's fun to be around other people who want to celebrate as well. "
Thousands of people showed up on Fayetteville Street even after severe weather threatened to wash out evening activities. For part of the evening, thunderstorms drenched downtown Raleigh forcing vendors to clear streets, and some to wait out the rain.
"We stayed home until the weather past. So we feel like we got here just in time," said Cindy Pittman, of Raleigh.
At Fort Bragg, a small rain shower and a few claps of thunder didn't stop the party.
Hundreds of soldiers and their families showed their patriotism at Fort Bragg's annual Fourth of July celebration.
With over 14,000 Fort Bragg troops deployed this Fourth of July, it was a day to celebrate and remember the cost of freedom.
fort bragg, wake county, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help