Man found dead at Hyco Lake
LEASBURG, N.C. (WTVD) -- Person County investigators are trying to figure out how a man found dead at Hyco Lake may have died.
The body of 20-year-old Alton Lee Bell, of Winston-Salem, was discovered this morning at the Hyco Marina.
Clerks at a nearby store say the man appeared on their surveillance video when they opened their store this morning.
Then a passerby told the store clerks that a man appeared to be sleeping on the docks. Someone later discovered that Bell was dead.
Person County Sheriff Dewey Jones says Bell was part of a group of independent contractors who had been working to clear storm debris along the east coast. The group had stopped at the campgrounds at Hyco Lake for a break.
Investigators said they do not suspect foul play, but the body has been taken to the North Carolina Medical Examiner's office in Chapel Hill for an autopsy.
person county, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Three arrested in murder of north Raleigh mom 10 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Okla. storms hit close to home for some
- Lightning sparks Raleigh apartment fire
- Candidates for Wake superintendent narrowed to 3
- Request for mistrial in McNeill case denied
- Forensic expert reads emails from Janet Abaroa
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' - who won season 16?
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- NC attorney general warns of disaster relief scams
- Parents push to get Enloe students back in school 21 min ago
- Three arrested in north Raleigh murder
55 min ago