Officer on computer before crash could face charges
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A report just released showed that a Raleigh police officer was using his mobile computer just moments before he crashed into a tree over the weekend.
Investigators said Officer John Black was responding to a call early Saturday morning when he took the exit ramp to Wade Avenue from the Raleigh Beltline.
While trying to use his computer, the report indicates Black over corrected on the curve, lost control of his cruiser, and slammed into a tree.
Black was not seriously hurt.
Police are still deciding whether to cite or reprimand Black.
Police officials said officers are exempt from distracted driving laws and speeding laws when responding to calls. However, they said their policy does not allow officers to use their computers while moving.
wake county, i440, accident, local/state
- Drug bust at home owned by UNC's Roy Williams 2 min ago
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Ex-racer Mayfield's home to be burned for training
- Dog helps Alaska woman survive 3 nights in cold
- Social media fuels school threat concerns
- Deputies raid Durham sweepstakes cafe 16 min ago
- Robbery suspect uses box as disguise
- Durham Freeway reopened following closure
- Thousands of Ft. Bragg soliders to deploy to Afghanistan
- One man killed, another injured in shooting 6 min ago
- Residents gather signatures to protest Publix store
- Raleigh house damaged in fire
- Two shot, wounded at NC chicken plant
- Teacher accused of feeding autistic boy hot sauce rehired
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help