Cary teen killed in rock climbing fall
STOKES COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Cary teenager died while rock climbing with friends over the weekend.
It happened Sunday evening at Hanging Rock State park in Stokes County.
Authorities said 19-year-old Eric Metcalf was rappelling off a portion of the park known as Moore's Wall when he fell 270 feet.
His death is under investigation.
Officials said Metcalf was considered an experienced climber.
- Search for missing swimmer to resume Thursday
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- NWS confirms Franklin County tornado
- Wake superintendent named, controversy begins
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died
- Former TWA Flight 800 investigators want new probe
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped