Funeral held for Busco Beach drowning victim
WAKE FOREST, N.C. (WTVD) -- A 14-year-old boy who drowned at a swimming area in Wayne County was laid to rest Thursday.
Family and friends gathered to say goodbye to Jaimel Cooper at Friendship Chapel Church in Wake Forest.
Cooper drowned July 8 at Busco Beach, a manmade beach near Goldsboro. Wayne County authorities found his body the following day.
Cooper was a rising sophomore at Heritage High School, and once the funeral was over, a private gathering was held at the school.
Cooper was the third person to die at Busco Beach since 2010. His death has prompted some to question the safety of the beach, but the former owner and founder maintains that the swimming spot is safe.
local/state, alina machado
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County 8 min ago
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash 43 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 38 min ago
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic 52 min ago
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help