RDU breaks ground on Terminal 1 overhaul
RALEIGH DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (WTVD) -- RDU's "Blue Box" - the distinctive blue colored Terminal 1 building - is about to undergo a complete renovation.
Dignitaries broke ground on the project Thursday.
As part of the celebration, construction crews will remove some of the blue panels from the exterior of the building to be signed. They'll go on display at the airport.
RDU officials said the $68 million makeover will include more natural lighting with larger ticketing, security checkpoint, and bag claim areas.
The plan also includes new restaurants and shops and works of art.
Workers finished the second phase of the new Terminal 2 in January 2011.
raleigh durham airport, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help