RDU breaks ground on Terminal 1 overhaul
RALEIGH DURHAM INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (WTVD) -- RDU's "Blue Box" - the distinctive blue colored Terminal 1 building - is about to undergo a complete renovation.
Dignitaries broke ground on the project Thursday.
As part of the celebration, construction crews will remove some of the blue panels from the exterior of the building to be signed. They'll go on display at the airport.
RDU officials said the $68 million makeover will include more natural lighting with larger ticketing, security checkpoint, and bag claim areas.
The plan also includes new restaurants and shops and works of art.
Workers finished the second phase of the new Terminal 2 in January 2011.
raleigh durham airport, local/state
- North Carolina ties to Craigslist murder
- Heart of Carolina Food Drive wrapping up soon
- South African police prepare for Mandela ceremony
- Man must pay $50K after breaking up with fiancee
- Second suspect named in double murder 36 min ago
- World leaders to speak at massive Mandela memorial
- Deputy hits deer, tree in Moore County 7 min ago
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- Art Pope says he's sad about Roses, Maxway pickets 26 min ago
- Audit shows problems with NC Tracks
- Car drives off bridge, into Harnett County creek
- Bicyclist charged with DWI
- Online promotion idea turns sour for cupcake shop owner
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help