Soldier killed in Afghanistan laid to rest
SPRING LAKE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A local fallen soldier was laid to rest Friday with full military honors.
It was a somber scene in Spring Lake Thursday as the body of Pfc. Trevor Adkins returned to North Carolina.
For his mother it was painful, and precious moment.
'"I was at peace knowing my baby was back home," said Adkins' mother, Carolyn Haines. "I guess I know where is -- he is back home. He is an American hero even though he doesn't want to be called one, but he is and we in the country are free because of people like my son."
Family members said the 21-year old died living his dream.
Adkins was among six soldiers who died in Afghanistan when they hit a roadside bomb.
Members of the Patriot Guard stood with American flags outside of Adcox Funeral Home in Spring Lake Thursday evening. Inside friends and classmates laughed and cried as they tried to comfort each other.
"He was a great guy. He always talked about going into the military," said Adkins' friend Josh Forbes. "Full of laughter and just fun to be around."
Adkins' funeral was held Friday morning in Spring Lake.
cumberland county, local/state
- Winter weather advisory for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- NCCU will be part of March Madness
- Video: NC State headed to NCAA tournament
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Plane search expands from Australia to Kazakhstan
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Man shot, killed at Willow Spring bar
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash