Soldier killed in Afghanistan laid to rest
SPRING LAKE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A local fallen soldier was laid to rest Friday with full military honors.
It was a somber scene in Spring Lake Thursday as the body of Pfc. Trevor Adkins returned to North Carolina.
For his mother it was painful, and precious moment.
'"I was at peace knowing my baby was back home," said Adkins' mother, Carolyn Haines. "I guess I know where is -- he is back home. He is an American hero even though he doesn't want to be called one, but he is and we in the country are free because of people like my son."
Family members said the 21-year old died living his dream.
Adkins was among six soldiers who died in Afghanistan when they hit a roadside bomb.
Members of the Patriot Guard stood with American flags outside of Adcox Funeral Home in Spring Lake Thursday evening. Inside friends and classmates laughed and cried as they tried to comfort each other.
"He was a great guy. He always talked about going into the military," said Adkins' friend Josh Forbes. "Full of laughter and just fun to be around."
Adkins' funeral was held Friday morning in Spring Lake.
cumberland county, local/state
- Police investigate apparent murder-suicide
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- Senate Republicans moving NC budget to House
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recover
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death
- Stay safe from summer's deadly storms