Funeral held for Neuse River drowning victims
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Mourners gathered Saturday to remember two cousins who drowned while fishing with their uncle at the Neuse River.
Ten-year-old Katherine Rcon tried to save her 7-year-old cousin, Johnny Nay, when he dropped his fishing pole and slipped into the water. Neither was able to withstand the strong current and both drowned Monday.
Friends and family said goodbye at the First Alliance Church in Raleigh.
"Sad. Two beautiful, young innocent kids. But we're just here for the family now and pray for the family," relative Lui Nay said.
The family was part of the Montagnards, and several from across the state paid their respects to the family.
"From everyone in Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, people from work that showed their great support and help," the children's aunt H'trin Rcon said.
During the funeral, those in attendance heard stories about the children who were achievers.
"Katherine wanted to be a pediatrician. She wanted to go have a special place like Duke or UNC, that's what she wanted," Rcon said. "John, he loved to read. He'd always read for family. Every time he'd come home from school he would bring books from school, and would ask if I had 10, 15 minutes so he could read his favorite books for me."
Though the family is feeling unimaginable pain, they want people to know they are grateful for the outpouring of support they have received.
"It's just a big support from everyone from different cities, that come here to support the family," Rcon said.
wake county, drowning, local/state, anthony wilson
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh 27 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash 34 min ago
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
26 min ago
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in...
25 min ago
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
20 min ago