Alleged bar discrimination case goes to court
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Accusations of ethnic intimidation and simple assault were discussed before a Wake County judge Monday morning.
The accusations stem from an alleged incident at the Downtown Sports Bar and Grill in Raleigh last month.
Jonathan Wall filed assault and ethnic intimidation charges after he said bartender Todd Chriscoe roughed him up on June 17, because he was African American.
The story spread quickly on social media and sparked local protests.
However, the Glenwood Avenue bar owner's lawyer said there was no race-based intimidation of any kind on that night, and said that Wall was escorted out of the bar because he was not a member.
Still, lawyers representing both men appeared in Wake County court Monday morning for a scheduled appearance, where a judge continued the case.
"There's a lot of information to digest, a lot of information involved and candidly, some healthy conversation involved," Young said. "How to make people feel better about race relations in the city and the parties have, I think, come together in a setting that has been helpful in moving that process forward."
Conversation held away from the courtroom that, he said, could resolve the dispute.
"This gives both parties a chance to be more candid with their respective counsel about what their recollection of the events might be, so that they can come together and talk about maybe working this out," Chriscoe's attorney Bill Young said.
Both sides are scheduled to return to court August 20 for either a hearing or mediation purposes, according to Wall's attorney Alesia Vick.
wake county, local/state
- Search under way for missing swimmer in Hope Mills 29 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate 36 min ago
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexican coast
- Former TWA Flight 800 investigators want new probe
- Traffic returns to Wash. bridge that collapsed
- Search under way for missing swimmer in...
32 min ago
- Controversy after Wake Schools announces...
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos