Raleigh native killed in Afghanistan
GHAZNI, Afghanistan (WTVD) -- A Raleigh native has died while fighting serving in Afghanistan, according to the Department of Defense.
Spc. Darrion Hicks, 21, died Thursday in Ghazni, Afghanistan, from injuries sustained from an enemy improvised explosive device. The soldier was assigned to the 54th Engineer Battalion, 18th Engineer Brigade, 21st Theater Sustainment Command, Bamberg, Germany.
Hicks graduated from Broughton High School in Raleigh in 2009. He was a member of the school's ROTC program for three years, and his picture still hangs in the hallway outside the ROTC classroom.
"He knew he wanted to go into the military and that was his goal, to be in the military because he was very patriotic and he wanted to serve his country," Broughton High School ROTC instructor Master Sgt. Richard Suggs said.
Suggs told ABC11 he saw Hicks earlier this year before he deployed to Germany. The Broughton instructor said he learned of Hicks' death after an email from the school's principal.
"The staff as a whole is in shock. When you've got somebody who's just 21 years old, that's mighty young in life to lose your life. I think the staff that knew him is really sad and we're gonna, like I said, miss him," Suggs said.
local/state, alina machado
- Police: Teen had gunshot residue on hands 7 min ago
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday 58 min ago
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital 54 min ago
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban 44 min ago
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help